Do you know why this word exists?
Drapetomania is the fictitious disease that the Southern slave doctor Samuel A. Cartwright created to categorize the tendency for slaves to run away as a mental illness to be cured. Because white people wholeheartedly believed that enslaving us was a service to us ( saving us from our brutish, lascivious, and lazy ways) and any right minded individual could see that..The prescribed
punishmenttreatment for drapetomania was torture and hard labor.
Do not put this on your artsy blogs.
Do not erase the deplorable history behind it.
This is a truly heinous word. Whoever originally posted this was an ignorant fuck. And this definition is a crock of shit.
An overwhelming urge to run away.
Go fuck yourself.
I. love. the. Anaconda. video. but the writeups I’ve been seeing keep referring to Drake as a co-star, which I think misses a big part of the point.
The reason this video rules is because Drake is an extra. Drake is a prop. Drake is a bro in the comfy-casual clothes that he rolled up to the set in, who has no lines or purpose other than the be ground upon, and whose face is obscured by shadows most of the time.
This is not a continuation of the Drake/Nicki/Rih media narrative. This is a dank-as-fuck feminist power play. This is, “Drake is whatever to me.” And this is a man who, if he isn’t at the top of his game, is close to it. A huge celebrity. And here is Nicki looking fucking amazing, tormenting him into a boner, then swatting his hand away and walking out of frame.
Your anaconda don’t want none unless she got buns, hun? Maybe she doesn’t want your anaconda. Maybe she’ll do whatever the fuck she wants with her buns, and it doesn’t matter what you think or feel.
13-year-old Mo’Ne Davis is about to become just the 17th female to play in the Little League World Series after pitching a three-hitter to lead her team to an 8-0 victory in a Mid-Atlantic Regional championship game. She killed it.
I see a lot of killings and police brutality all over my dash and raising awareness. But I wanna share some positive stuff going on
Go off sis!
Been meaning to speak on this. But yeah, she’s doing the damn thing. There’s also an all-black team from Chicago that is looking to reach the finals as well, I believe.
Anonymous said: these anons are like, "can i be racist in the rain? can i be racist on a train? can i be racist in a box? can i be racist with a fox?"
How can I be racist if I work with blacks
How can I be racist if one sold me slacks
I’m not racist I’m just like you. I’m best friends with a black or two.
i’m not racist, you see, it’s just a preference
i love eastern culture and its women’s deference
the west lost its way with no room for clemency
If I love Asian women, how’s that white supremacy?
i’m not a racist, i can’t be, you see
my great grandma’s grandma was part cherokee
plus one time i got called “cracker” to my face
don’t we all bleed red? i don’t even see race…
I’m not racist, blacks just need to stop complaining
Living in the past and white people blaming
I work hard, no handouts for every little fraction
If white privilege isn’t fair, then how is affirmative action?
Saturday morning, over 1,000 people march for justice for Michael Brown.
World’s languages traced back to single African mother tongue: scientists.
New Zealand researchers have traced every human language — from English to Mandarin — back to an ancestral language spoken in Africa 50,000 to 70,000 years ago.
Scientists say they have traced the world’s 6,000 modern languages — from English to Mandarin — back to a single “mother tongue,” an ancestral language spoken in Africa 50,000 to 70,000 years ago.
New research, published in the journal Science, suggests this single ancient language resulted in human civilization — a Diaspora — as well as advances in art and hunting tool technology, and laid the groundwork for all the world’s cultures.
The research, by Quentin Atkinson from the University of Auckland in New Zealand, also found that speech evolved far earlier than previously thought. And the findings implied, though did not prove, that modern language originated only once, an issue of controversy among linguists, according to the New York Times.
Before Atkinson came up with the evidence for a single African origin of language, some scientists had argued that language evolved independently in different parts of the world.
Atkinson found that the first populations migrating from Africa laid the groundwork for all the world’s cultures by taking their single language with them. “It was the catalyst that spurred the human expansion that we all are a product of,” Atkinson said, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Atkinson traced the number distinct sounds, or phonemes — consonants, vowels and tones — in 504 world languages, finding compelling evidence that they can be traced back to a long-forgotten dialect spoken by our Stone Age ancestors, according to the Daily Mail.
Atkinson also hypothesized that languages with the most sounds would be the oldest, while those spoken by smaller breakaway groups would utilize fewer sounds as variation and complexity diminished.
The study found that some of the click-using languages of Africa have more than 100 phonemes, or sounds, whereas Hawaiian, toward the far end of the human migration route out of Africa, has only 13, the Times reported. English has about 45 phonemes.
The phoneme pattern mirrors the pattern of human genetic diversity as humans spread across the globe from sub-Saharan Africa around 70,000 years ago.
This gives me LIFE from people who insist all languages (ALL no matter what) derive from latin bases.
Reblogging this for three reasons:
1) It’s awesome and worth knowing
2) It makes sense when you think about, you know, the whole history of human development (from a NOT white supremacist perspective at least)
3) To add that if anyone ever tries to say that all languages are derived from Latin [insert choked sound of disbelief and anger] you can inform their ignorant (probably racist) asses of this: Latin, as far as languages go, is an INFANT. It’s part of a subset of Indo-European languages and MOTHERFUCKER EVEN ENGLISH ISN’T ONE OF ITS DERIVATIVES. (French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese are, as well as lots of their related languages and dialects, that’s it.) Latin isn’t even remotely old enough to be a mother language. It’s like saying alpacas were the original dinosaurs or some bullshit.
HUH! You dont FUCKING SAY?
WILL YOU LOOK THE FUCK AT THAT!
Not surprising, but this is cool information!
For all you gross cop apologists + people who haven’t been keeping up:
- Autopsy showed no sign of struggle. Also, the autopsy showed the bullet wounds on the inside of his arm which means that his arms had to be up.
- The picture of the CT scan that’s being passed around to show that Wilson had an orbital blowout fracture is actually from 2008 from the University of Iowa.
- Video shows Brown paying at the store.
- The only eyewitness who supported the police’s story is fake.
- Actual eyewitness accounts of what happened.
Yeah. There was absolutely no reason to kill Michael Brown. What happened was murder, plain and simple.
This is the post we all need.
Hey, I just published a book about a bisexual witch and a lesbian woman king. It’s like Game of Thrones, except all the main characters are queer people of color. Would you possibly be interested in supporting diverse media by reblogging a post about it?
If so, here’s the link:
Thank you so much! Love your blog, by the way!
Lundy has twenty years of experience specializing in interventions for abusive men and their families. He has also authored many other book chapters and scholarly articles. Lundy is a former Co-Director of Emerge, the nation’s first counseling program for men who batter. He has worked with over a thousand abusers directly as an intervention counselor, and has served as clinical supervisor on another thousand cases. He has also served extensively as a custody evaluator, child abuse investigator, and expert witness in domestic violence and child abuse cases. Lundy appears across the United States as a presenter for judges and other court personnel, child protective workers, therapists, law enforcement officials, and other audiences.
Lundy Bancroft is an author, workshop leader, and consultant on domestic abuse and child maltreatment. His work focuses on three areas: 1) Training professionals on best practices for intervening with male perpetrators of violence against women, toward the goal of promoting accountability and requiring change, 2) Training professionals on the dynamics of emotional injury and recovery in children who are exposed to a man who abuses their mother, to prepare participants to offer the most effective and safe assistance possible to children and their mothers, and 3) Supporting healing and empowerment for abused women, with an emphasis on advocating for the human rights of mothers and their children.
Lundy is the author of four books in the field, including
- Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
- When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse
- The national prize-winner The Batterer as Parent: Addressing the Impact of Domestic Violence on Family Dynamics (with Dr. Jay Silverman).
- Should I Stay or Should I Go (with JAC Patrissi)
Lundy is available as a public speaker and trainer for professionals, and offers weekend retreats for women who have experienced abuse. - (x)
The effects of the incident last much longer for the abused woman, of course, and pretty soon the abuser may be snapping at her: “What, aren’t you over that yet? Don’t dwell on it, for crying out loud. Let’s put it behind us and move forward.” His attitude is: “I’m over it, so why isn’t she?”
Genuine remorse and theatricality are not mutually exclusive. Most abusers are truly sorry - though perhaps largely for themselves…
Remorse usually tends to decline as abusive incidents pile up. The genuine aspect fades as the abusive man grows accustomed to acting abusively and tuning out his partner’s hurt feelings. The theatrical part fades as he becomes less concerned about losing the relationship, confident now that she is fully under his control and won’t leave him.
The salient point about remorse, however, is that it matters little whether it is genuine or not. [Abusive men in an abuser program] who get very sorry after acts of abuse change at about the same rate as the ones who don’t. The most regretful are sometimes the most self-centered, lamenting about all the injury they’ve done to their own self image. They feel ashamed of having behaved like cruel dictators and want to revert quickly to the role of benign dictators, as if that somehow makes them much better people.
A majority of my clients seem to believe that the woman loses her right to refuse him if the man determines that it has been “too long” since they have had sex. The definition of how many days without sex is too many differs for each abuser, but he watches his internal clock and expects access when the alarm goes off. Her decision not to have sex may be respected up to that moment, but then his entitlement tends to take over.
In a typical abusive inversion, my clients often attempt to convince me that they are the sexual victims in their relationships. As one man said: “My partner uses sex to control me, that’s how women jerk men around. Women are the ones that really have the power over men because they know they have what we want the most, and they have the power to shut us out. My wife wants me to be her little puppy dog, begging and drooling and wagging my tail, that’s the only way I’ll get sex.” The underlying attitude comes bursting out of his words: He believes his wife is keeping something of his away from him when she doesn’t want intimate contact. He sees sexual rights to a woman as akin to mineral rights to land — and he owns them.
The abusive man’s problem with anger is almost the opposite of what is commonly believed. The reality is:
Your abusive partner doesn’t have a problem with HIS anger; he has a problem with YOUR anger.
One of the basic human rights he takes away from you is the right to be angry with him. No matter how badly he treats you, he believes that your voice shouldn’t rise and your blood shouldn’t boil. The privilege of rage is reserved for him alone. When your anger does jump out of you —as will happen to any abused woman from time to time —he is likely to try to jam it back down your throat as quickly as he can. Then he uses your anger against you to prove what an irrational person you are. Abuse can make you feel straightjacketed. You may develop physical or emotional reactions to swallowing your anger, such as depression, nightmares, emotional numbing, or eating and sleeping problems, which your partner may use as an excuse to belittle you further or make you feel crazy.
rainbowsquidpunk said: In what way was Guardians sexist?
under the cut for spoilers and probably unpopular opinions
“1. hi I’m
Jim Kirk from Star Trek 2009Peter Quill and you know what is awesome? Space womanizers!!!!!!
2. It’s 2014 and we can still only have 2 women in space tops at any given time
3. Srsly they couldn’t even throw a few random Nova Corps ladies in there
4. It’s been a long time since Star Wars y’all
5. It’s been a long time since frickin’ Alien how are we back here
6. Gamora is the coolest COME ON COME ON she has the most interesting backstory and could’ve had the best arc but no the only thing her arc ended up being was “how she feels about Peter Quill”
7. seriously how did they screw up Gamora that bad with the writing. she is so great. SO GREAT. guys she’s a brainwashed child soldier who got out and is on the path to redemption and we got ZERO. OF THAT.
8. How did Peter Quill get the main arc in this srsly he didn’t change at all from start to finish cuz HEY HE’S ALREADY AWESOME SO COOL LIKE HAN SOLO but he held his mom’s hand no wait that was Gamora who is not his mom not even at all not even metaphorically
9. like everyone else in the world I am utterly charmed by Chris Pratt but that only goes so far
10. FRICKIN NEBULA Y’ALL you dangle sister-assassins in front of me and then waste that???? what is wrong with you was there too much of a chance that women would talk about something other than Peter Quill
11. A character who’s been established as speaking ONLY literally (THIS IS ONE OF HIS TWO DEFINING CHARACTER TRAITS) calls Gamora a whore and this is played like the funniest joke lololololololol i get it
12. It pushed the envelope in certain ways (yay talking raccoon and tree friend) but was completely uninterested in leaving other cliches behind (y’all seriously did we mention Peter Quill has SO MUCH SEX he doesn’t even remember their names!!!)
13. like hey you know what’s new and different! a team with only one lady and she rolls her eyes at all the boys’ jokes because they are dumb!!!
14. just give me tragic Sister Assassins that is all I want why did you waste it we could’ve had it allllllllllllll
15. anyway in all seriousness I’ve sat through a bunch of pretty sexist movies and I can still find stuff to like because I’m good at compartmentalizing. I know how to have fun at movies with hecked up gender stuff, like yes I count both GI Joe movies among my favorites and those movies are way hecked up. But the difference was this is A MOVIE FRANCHISE I HAVE COME TO TRUST. like Avengers was way fun and even though it had problems too I was like “wow this isn’t perfect yet but it sure is a huge improvement for the superhero genre! I feel welcome and included in this movie even if there is only one woman on the team! Because this movie is for everyone not just comic bros! And surely this is only the first step it will get so much better from here!!!!” and then this. And I was expecting so much and my hopes were so high. I love the concept, I love all the characters, I just want them to try again, make the same movie but get it RIGHT this time. This was a movie for Comic Bros Who Love Han Solo and There’s No Girls in Space DUH. BUT IT DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY. And for me, that took me out of the story and I couldn’t get back in.
16. it’s cool if you liked it, it WAS a lot of fun, but remember you can still like things and acknowledge that they hecked up and this movie did.”
[All of this and more, since it was also fairly ableist and racist]
"Anne Bonny and Mary Read were pirates, as renowned for their ruthlessness as for their gender, and during their short careers challenged the sailors’ adage that a woman’s presence on shipboard invites bad luck."
Sculpture by Erik Christianson.
I’m not entirely sure that the statue really needed to have a tit out.
How dare women try to have nipples.
Actually I’ve seen this before and I can tell you— it’s because these women were bad ass pirates and when they killed someone they’d expose one or both breasts so that when their victim died, (s)he knew that they were killed by a woman.
ACTUALLY Anne Bonny purposely wore loose fitting clothes and displayed her breasts openly at all times during battle - mainly because men were distracted by them, and she took pleasure in killing said men while they were too busy staring at her breasts. Mary Read dressed mainly as a man (after posing as her deceased brother, Mark, for the entirety of her childhood) and both ladies cross-dressed from time to time, hopping between ships. They were known as the ‘fierce hell cats’ due to their ferocious tempers, and were key elements to Captain ‘Calico Jack’ Rackham’s crew - they were the only two known female pirates in the Golden Age of Caribbean piracy. IN FACT, when the ship was captured by the British Navy, Anne and Mary were the ONLY TWO pirates who fought while the males of the crew hid - they were all tried to be hung as pirates but Bonny and Read were both pregnant and were pardoned.
Calico Jack was a lover to Bonny, and as he was to be hung, Bonny’s final words to him were, “Had you fought like a man, you need not be hung like a dog.” Bonny and Read were possibly two of the most badass fucking pirates and they were FEMALE. The more you know.